Thursday, September 3, 2009

Amber's Ambry & Her Little Blueberry, Too!

Amber's Blueberry goat's milk soap
(photo by yours truly on my patio)

So, I get this great package from my soap buddy, Amber, a few weeks ago. Nice soaps, beautifully wrapped, they smell wholesome and are decorated similarly. Looking at them made me want to eat more healthily, grow a garden, make my own paper and make homemade applesauce for goodness sake. I was even considering giving up my chocolate habit during that fleeting moment, but then I thought about my nightly ritual of eating Reese's peanut butter cups and decided that all natural, all the time just isn't for me. There is a time and a place for natural, but when I want junk, I can push a button and go for it. Especially when your chocolate gets into my peanut butter.

Back to Amber, her ruby shoes and her little blueberry.

I am not a huge fan of blueberry smells in the land of bath and body products (thinking Bath and Body Works and all that encompasses that place) and also TJ Maxx - all of the rejects from every other store in the U.S. and quite possibly products pushing their expiration dates. But Amber's soap smells true and blue. Blueberries are my favorite fruit, I'll have you know, and every time I got into the shower, I rubbed that bar all over and sniffed it sniffed it and sniffed some more. I couldn't get enough of that smell! I think I'll call it a heaven bar... with the perfect amount of poppy seeds. I think poppy seeds are under utilized in this world. They are not only cute, but they work so hard, especially for being so darn small.

My husband wrote a blog post recently about a loofah soap he found in our shower and how it felt like razor blades. If you want a laugh, go read it here. Apparently after reading all of the comments, it appears that the men are not big on exfoliation but women LOVE it. The rougher the better. Now, I would have thought it would be reversed. I know that about half the time, I like to exfoliate and I don't like it mild, either. So, Amber's blueberry packs the perfect poppy-punch because it isn't downright rough, but it's no where near mild.

In short: I love this Blueberry bar of goodness!


poppy-punch good


How cute is this muslin bag with the blueberry stamp that Amber carved out and made HERSELF?!



Oh come on, is there something this chick can't do? Oh yeah. Let me share with you some of the things she can do brilliantly:


She bakes:

She gardens. And well, too:
















She quilts:




She's a knitter extraordinaire:




She sews many beautiful aprons (I am an owner of one)
Wish I had the photo of me wearing mine....so cheery.:



And she and her husband made these invitations and I really want to know how they did it. Perhaps we can ask her to do a tutorial or something...







This crafty chica is no woman to be dual-ling with at high noon with an art box.


*

7 comments:

Amber said...

I am absolutely floored by your post. I was expecting a simple soap review and you went so above and beyond that and I thank you so much for it.

You know we've been in a real funk here lately and you have just brightened my day so completely. Thank you so very much!

Michelle said...

Amber is adorable! She is a DOMESTIC GODDESS for sure! Amber, I love your soap. The packaging is perfect! Joanna describes you and your creations spot on :)

Joanna, your hubby's post on luffah soap was soooooo funny. And here I always thought my hubby was the only one that didn't like exfoliants. LOL!

Erica P. said...

I love Amber's blog, one of my favs. I just can't wait to see what she's made next. Besides soap, I love sewing, quilting, & papercrafting, so her stuff is right up my alley. I first found her thru the tutorial on balms you posted a few months ago. I just love her stuff. I should give Amber's soaps a try!

As for your husband, Jo, I am still trying to figure out where you get your burning soap from? Funny post. I'm afraid of luffa soaps as well, but they look pretty.

Suds to Love said...

I adore Amber's soaps, aprons, bags and her photos!

Erin Napier said...

That soap looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Amber is da bomb!! She makes me feel inadequate...but in a wonderful way. ;)

Tell Brad to suck it in and take it like a man. Oh wait, I think I already did...hm, or maybe I told him he was a girl...whatever.

Suds Handmade Soap. said...

Amber is obviously a woman of many talents! I love the unique soap! ...Beautiful work!